About Stories Matter
Motto: You have a story. I have a story. Let’s listen. Let’s talk.
Stories Matter promotes the use of stories as a way for all people to understand themselves and others, both as unique and as members of a common community. Through reading, listening, sharing, and discussing one another’s stories, we build empathy and create a more inclusive and welcoming community in our ever-changing diverse and multicultural society.
- Encourage multicultural empathy-building through storytelling and discussion.
- Provide key community institutions and centers with a rich basic collection of literature that provides mirrors and windows for readers.
- Empower parents and educators to engage in meaningful conversations while preparing children to be empathetic citizens in a diverse and multicultural society.
- Foster awareness, acceptance, and appreciation for diverse and intersectional identities, including race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic class, ability.
- Build relationships in order to develop and sustain inclusive and welcoming communities.
- Through fundraising, donations, and grants, stock community libraries and schools with Stories Matter-recommended texts.
- Provide research-based resources to parents, teachers, and libraries.
- Collaborate with other local groups in Franklin County and surrounding areas.
- Host and participate in events geared toward diverse and inclusive storytelling and education while having meaningful conversations.
- Develop a website and social media presence that provides parents, educators, and librarians with resources and tools.